Sorcery is the ancient and dangerous art of directly summoning forces, matter and energies from the Ström to affect our world. It is an ancient craft that predates much of humanity’s history and it is believed that it was developed by humans to imitate the natural Elven ability of Mana.
The Physics of Sorcery
All Sorcery comes from the Ström, an alternate world that we draw on for energy and matter. However, matter and energy not of this world is abhorred by nature. In almost all cases, anything summoned by a spell dissipates back into the Ström once the spell is complete or no longer maintained. Though we can briefly borrow elements from the Ström, they are always returned from whence they came.
Casting a Spell
There are several elements involved in spellcasting.
In order to cast a spell, a Sorcerer must:
- Be able to speak or make large gestures with at least one hand.
- A spell has complex components, both verbal and physical. Hand and arm motions, as well as verbal components to focus the mind are necessary to summon raw energy from the Ström.
- Know all the Required Theories involved in casting that specific spell.
- Every aspect of Sorcery is different. Summoning lightning is not the same as summoning iron. Complex, technical theories are codified and learned to allow one to cast a spell.
- Memorize or Reference the spell formula.
- Spells are complex things and take time to learn. Once a spell formula is available for study, the sorcerer must spend Downtime Actions to Memorize it.
- If a spell formula is available but not learned, it has to be referenced directly from a spell book or document.
- Referencing a Spell Formula to cast it uses a Minor Action.
- Spend a Major Action unless otherwise instructed.
- Spells require a major action to cast by default. However, certain spells are quick to cast and may only require a minor action, indicated by its traits.
Memorizing Spell Formulae
Memorizing spell formulae is difficult and takes time. Additionally, memorizing vast sums of information and adding to that becomes an impossible task without employing memorization techniques taught at the remedial level. The Nafgallan Academy of Sorcerous Arts offer Intro to Memorization as an entry level class for half a credit.
- The first spell formula you memorize requires a single Downtime Action to memorize.
- Additional spell formulae require an additional Downtime Action to Memorize than the previous one.
- Example: The first spell formula requires a single Downtime Action to memorize. The second Spell Formula requires two Downtime Actions. The third Spell Formula requires three; Et Cetera...
All spell formulas are split into Common, Uncommon and Rare for purposes of acquisition, like all other items. Finding spells to buy is a simple matter of rolling an appropriate Insight Roll. On a success you find what you are looking for, while additional sets can be spent to find deals or Spell Formulas being sold for favors. See the rules for Acquisition under Ch.6 Acquisition, Property and Services