Step 6. Establish The Party
Now that we have characters, we need to form the party itself as well as our own character backgrounds.
Starting Knowledge: Each character is at least an acquaintance of every other character; they are assumed to know them by face and name.
1. Create the Hub
Create a physical element that forces the characters to be in the same location geographically. This can be an existing element in the setting or one made up with help from the Judge.
- An airship, the Uncanny. A trading vessel that moonlights as an exploratory transport.
- A gang in Hekadia, called the Silk Sword, known for smuggling and other illicit operations.
- The fortified town of Oxwallow, an old train stop outside of Cinderridge, deep in the Wälder.
2. Create the Spokes
Each player chooses a reason they are connected to the Hub.
- Captain, mechanic, or a stowaway working off their debt aboard the Uncanny
- Members of the gang, or fences, smugglers, thugs and other affiliates of the Silk Sword.
- Sheriff, the town drunk, a huntsman that stops by for supplies once a month, shopkeeper or other inhabitants of the town.
3. Create the Rim
Each player takes a turn to ask the remaining party at least one question. This question implies their connection to the party, and any player that answers volunteers to be apart of that backstory.
Example questions are below:
- Who helped me pay off the gambling debts and get the Uncanny out of impound?
- Who trained me to use the sword?
- Who vouched for me when I was about to be blamed for a crime I didn't commit?
- Who is my sibling?
- Who was with me before I settled in Oxwallow?
4. Create the Road
Each player creates a connection to the outside world, some kind of "Unfinished Business." This can be an existing element in the setting or one made up with help from the Judge. They can be kept secret from the other players, but it is encouraged to share these tidbits. The Judge will record "The Road" for each character to incorporate later into the story arc.
- In Nafgalla, I am a wanted criminal for selling illegal sorcery.
- I never found out what happened to my sister. She was taken during a Trow raid on the town.
- The Uncanny is not the first ship I served on. I served on another one before this.
- I am the last surviving member of my noble line. I went into hiding after a plot assassinated my entire family.
You're finished and your character is ready!